"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, October 31, 2013

It's (almost) Picture Book Month!

I am so excited for tomorrow! I have big plans in store for this month-long celebration.  We'll be reading books, creating projects, and sharing our passion for picture books. 

Visit the Picture Book Month Website for a media kit, theme calendar, links to author created activities.
Last year, my fifth graders made picture book trailers using Animoto.  My fourth graders reflected on and expressed their opinion on the value of picture books on our Weebly Blog and also created Wordles and Tagxedos. The second graders used a picture book to inspire their watermelon seed stories.  The kindergarten students used Voicethread to share their love of books.
Two years ago my favorite project was the reading challenge.  I delivered posters and stickers to each classroom, along with reading logs and instructions.  For one week the students logged and marked the picture books they read.  We had a school wide celebration at the end.  The students were so engaged that I had teachers asking me to extend it!  Here are links to those projects:
(Book)Marking Picture Book Month
Celebrate Picture Book Month with These Books

Let the reading begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment