"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Slice of Life: Taking Control

I like to be in control.

Do I control smaller and more manageable parts of my life when other parts feel beyond my control? Yes.  I find myself dealing with our empty nest by reorganizing the books in our house.  I am excited for the journey that our children have embarked upon, but our house is oddly quiet and we miss them.That I turned to books to fill a void left by my college-bound children is no surprise. That I am choosing to spend time looking at, holding, and remembering each book is also no surprise. I am bookish. I come from bookish people. I have raised bookish children. Not all the books carry a significant emotional weight, but enough do.  There are the ones that I remembering reading and the ones that I remember them reading, and then there are the ones with inscriptions.  If I could go back, I would thank the younger me for marking birthdays and other important events with books and for writing those inscriptions. My empty nest is very full of memories.  


These books and their memories are lying around the house in various piles.  Most are now just in random piles waiting to find new homes.  There are also the books that have been purposely piled on floors in a failed attempt to mimic a cool display as seen on Book Riot are now finding homes on shelves (a safer bet for the artistically and aesthetically-challenged like myself). My plan is to move the children's favorite picture books from a more prominent bookshelf to a less prominent one to make room for my first edition copies and current favorites. It's overwhelming now, but I am excited for the reorganization and enjoying the process.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every Tuesday, Ruth and Stacey, host Slice of Life at their blog, Two Writing TeachersIf you want to participate, you can link up at their Slice of Life Story Post on Tuesdays or you can just head on over there to check out other people's stories. 
For more information on what a Slice of Life post is about, go here.



4 comments:

  1. I'm doing that empty nest thing too and I need some kind of project. I love my books, but I sure do miss my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this line, "I am bookish. I come from bookish people. I have raised bookish children." Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have raised bookish children. They will too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post! I loved how you used the word "bookish". And I love that your family is bookish, too.

    What a legacy you have given them!

    ReplyDelete