"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hurray for Imaginations!

Today's picture book highlight comes from my childhood.  Hurray for Captain Jane! by Sam Reavin with pictures by Emily Arnold McCully.  Sam Reavin was a poultry farmer and only wrote a few stories, mainly encouraged by his wife, children's author Lilian Moore.

Hurray for Captain Jane!

Published in 1971, this story depicts a young girl's imaginative journey, all sparked by a bar of soap and a wax paper hat.  A true celebration of the joy of unstructured and unsupervised play where a child's imagination is allowed to take flight; no need here for anything that beeps, talks or blinks when touched.  I am not sure this book would fly off the shelves were it in my library today, but I loved it and remember it fondly.  I read it with my own children, who have now developed their own relationship with the story.  Hurray for Captain Jane and her imagination!

Captain Jane charts a course.





No comments:

Post a Comment