"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, November 7, 2011

But the big thing just said "Snort"

Day seven of Picture Book Month finds me in a quandary, but a good one mind you.  I have committed to highlighting a new picture book for each school day of the month. (No problem here, this seems like a fairly easy task for a school library teacher.)  I am sure you have already guessed where this is going. I am submitting my book quite late in the day, not because I couldn't think of one, but because I couldn't decide on one!  I started my day out with a book I thought would be great, put it in my bag to bring to work, saw another book and proceeded to put that in my bag and so on.  One very heavy work bag later, I find myself back where I began!

The book of the day is: Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman


This morning, Dianne de Las Casas, the founder of the Picture Book Month initiative asked people to submit their favorite picture books about birds.  She gave Owl Moon by Jane Yolen as an example.

I immediately thought of Are You My Mother? This story still resonates with me so many years later.  The young bird's journey to find his mother is filled with gentle humor and engaging illustrations.  I always loved the "Snort," but I am not sure I knew why. It wasn't until I became a parent that I came to appreciate the subtle messages in this book, especially the fact that the big unfamiliar machine is the hero of the day.  I hear a "don't judge a book by it's cover" type message here.  In the end though, it is all about what Theodor Seuss Geisel set out to do with his "I Can Read It" collection that is important.  Create a library of books brimming with creativity and imagination that engage young readers.  He succeeded and this contribution by Eastman falls easily into this criteria.

You can read along yourself by following the themes on the Picture Book Month Calendar!

Happy Picture Book Month!




1 comment: