"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Celebrations: On Volunteers

Discover. Play. Build.
Today I celebrate the volunteers, mainly parents, who help make the library program run as smoothly as it does and who make my library a fun place to be. Their presence allows me to focus on teaching and learning with the students. I am incredibly thankful for their assistance and their support.

For the volunteers, there are plenty of days of checking in and checking out books, of shelving books, or of shelf-reading books. These tasks are not inconsequential. 

It's the days like yesterday, when the volunteers are pressed into service with a project, that their support really shines.  I can often be found asking a parent to jump in with a project, showing them how to navigate to and access a resource or how to save a project.

"Will you help the students to..."

The volunteers quickly jump in where needed. They smile in the midst of the chaos I sometimes create. They are the extra set of hands I sometimes need when working alone with 25 students.

The library program would not exist the way it does without all the ways the volunteers help. So...Thank you to all the parents, grandparents, and guardians for your faithful service and invaluable support of the learning happening in the library.

A very special thanks to a grandmother who never left, even though her grandchildren graduated ten years ago. Thank you, Jean, I could not do this without you.
Discover. Play. Build.
Celebrate This Week is a meme started by Ruth Ayres, over at Ruth Ayres Writes.

3 comments:

  1. Love this celebration! I also have many wonderful volunteers who support in my classroom. The difference they make one child, one moment at a time is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Volunteers bring more than their help. They come with a different kind of passion. They are there by choice to serve and give. We have a few of those volunteers that keep on giving even after their children are gone. They are special angels. Thanks for sharing this and reminding me of the value of our volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your celebration. Volunteer are the unsung heros of our society...I will pray for them all this week

    ReplyDelete