"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, November 4, 2016

Wherein I Create Library Neighborhood Visuals and the Students Help Make Them Better


Working with students on understanding how a library is organized and helping them make the connection between the information in the Destiny Catalog and the book on the shelf  is both fun and challenging. Before they can begin exploring on their own, there has to be some foundational work. The struggle comes in making this conversation one that meets the needs of all learners. Over the years, I have worked to create visuals that I hope clarify the organizational aspect of the library and make that Destiny-Book connection. This year, I think I have finally found something I like.

I had my fourth graders give me feedback on the new visuals and was incredibly appreciative of their input. For instance, in the image below, they suggested that I put the library information on the left and city on the right. I agreed and changed the graphic. They gave feedback on font, color, and language. It was one great conversation. Have a look below. What do you think? How can I make these better?

Our library is like a city...

A book is like a building on a street, if you have the address...

The first part of a call number sends you to the neighborhood...

We can identify our neighborhoods by the color stickers on the books and tape on the shelves...

The second part of the call number brings you to the shelf.... 

On this street is a building...

On this shelf is a book...

Here are others visuals I am working on...
What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I get so many incredible ideas from you, Jennifer.

    Why didn't I ask you before? In my library, I just continued what was there before and use E for picture books which makes no sense to anyone, not even me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. What did you use to make these gorgeous visuals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked with one my parents who is a graphic designer. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh wait, the parent helped make the signs. I made these with MS Word!

      Delete
    3. I feel so proud now! Thank you!

      Delete