"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Encouraging Students to Doodle During a Read Aloud

Grace Lin is coming to our school at the end of the month! My fourth graders have all read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, and most have read Starry River of the Sky, so I decided to read an excerpt from When the Sea Turned to Silver. I gave each student a pad and a sharpie and asked them to write down predictions, to draw the images that emerged, and to note language that resonated with them. The busy hands let me know how intently they were listening. It was incredible. They then shared their predictions, thoughts, and drawings with each other. Here's a sample of what they created:
























No comments:

Post a Comment