"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, May 11, 2012

What a wonderful surprise!

What a wonderful surprise to open my District Google Docs account and see a folder from a fifth grade student.

"What was in the folder?" You ask?

Why, something incredibly special.  Writing, but not just any writing, poetry.  Poetry inspired by Sharon Creech's Love That Dog and Hate That Cat.

Wow.


With his permission, I share them with you.

Wally The Cat
   By Jason
   (Inspired by Sharon Creech and Valerie Worth)

   On the heated warm lap on the couch
   My cat rests down
   Moves around
   his body,purrs,
   and licks and scratches himself
   Carefully
   as I stroke and pet him
   looks up,opens up eyes
   moves his head all around
   checking
   the fallen cushion
   closes his eyes,rests his head down
   purrs and meows
   and he sleeps,
   for the rest of
   the day
   in his furry  and warm coat.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Wally Shaped Poem

By Jason
(Inspired by Sharon Creech and S.C. Rigg)




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Cat’s Couch
By Jason
(Inspired by Sharon Creech and Robert Frost)

I’m going to sit on the couch with my cat
And I’ll brush and pet and rub his fur around
(And I’ll watch him move around and clothes his eyes and rest)
And I will not be gone long-just getting some kitty treats for you if you come too.

I’m going to fetch one of the small stuffed toy
Their lying by my cat’s main resting place
It’s is his favorite toy because when I throw it he catches it and licks it and plays
And I will not be gone long-just filling your bowl of food and water if you come too.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Love My Cat
By Jason
(Inspired by Sharon Creech and Walter Dean Myers)

Love my cat,
like he loves to play with toys and chase them
I said love my cat,
like he loves to to be on people's laps and get scratched and petted and loved.
I love my cat,
like he loves to be curious and see new things
I call him in the morning
to give him his treats and to be together
and say and call,
“Kitty treats,Wally!”

He walks on his front paws
in his orange and yellow colored
fur and brown stripes
and brown eyes and a pinkish nose
and whiskers
he purrs and meows when he is happy
and closes his eyes and rests to sleep
I said he walks on his front paws
in his orange and yellow colored
fur and brown stripes
purrs and meows when he is happy
and closes his eyes and rests to sleep.

I like to hold him and make him happy and good,
and feed him his special little flavored treats
I said I like to hold him and make him happy and good,
and feed him his special little flavored treats
My sister,mom,and dad now get to be with him,
They’ll help him by and be great to him
too,
just like me.

He’s got a long road to walk down
Before his setting sun.
And before he is gone,
from my life and world and everything in it.
I said He’s got a long road to walk down
Before his setting sun.
And before he is gone,
from my life and world and everything in it.
He’s a long paw walker
and a good cat before he’s done,
for good,
and goes away.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Cat Sounds
By Jason
(Inspired by Sharon Creech and Arnold Adoff)

T h i s   h o u s e :
T h e
a l w a y s
 p u r r s
u p   f r o m   t h e
l o v e d  a n d  r e s t e d  
f r o m  b e i n g
p e t t e d  a n d  s t r o k e d  a n d  s c r a t c h e d
a n d  b e i n g  
r e s t e d  w i t h :
being played with
and using toys or mini stuffed animals
and being moved all around closing
his eyes and twitching his whiskers
and are partly sleeping.

V o c a b u l a r i e s
                              of
meowing
purring
speaking
resting cat  l a n g u a g e
c o m b i n a t i o n s:

as  I
O v e r h e a r
        s n o r e s

a n
o r c h e s t r a
of cushions moving
and blankets ruffling
flying to
                   my ears
w i t h  
t h e
a l w a y s
  n o i s e  o f
t h i s  h o u s e:

cat sounds.



2 comments:

  1. WOW!
    I say wow wow wow wow!
    Love that cat
    love that boy
    love those poems!
    WOW!
    I say wow wow wow wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete