"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Sunday, December 7, 2014

The 2015 Mock Caldecott List

I can understand why most teacher librarians have Mock Caldecott lists of 20 or more. It is hard to pare down the number of books, especially given that our goal is to expose students to literature and literature awards. I don't have enough time to explore that number of books. Given my schedule, what I want to cover about the Caldecott, and the experience I want for the students, I have to narrow the list down to five or six. This year I have a friend and colleague to help!

After a month of deliberating, my friend, and Library Pal, Laura Given (@liblaura5) and I have come up with our top six books. We'll be teaching this unit with each of our third grade classrooms and coming together for Skype visits and voting.  We'll be reviewing Caldecott Criteria, exploring books, and eventually voting following the same procedure of the Caldecott Committee.

So which books will be considering? In alphabetical order, they are:

Written and Illustrated by Dan Santat



created by two of my 5th graders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

by Raúl Colón



~~~~~~~~~~~~~




~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Written by Mac Barnett
Illustrated by Jon Klassen



~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Written by Jen Bryant
Illustrated by Melissa Sweet



~~~~~~~~~

Written and Illustrated by Yuyi Morales



7 comments:

  1. I love this list! Especially the variety of types of books and diversity in art styles. Can't wait to hear more about the discussions you have with students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be willing to allow me to partner up with you to participate in your Skype session to discuss your upcoming picks? Have you started introducing this to your students yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tonya! We can try to Skype with you and Jeanne - let's talk off line. We can also set up some asynchronous connections.

      Delete
  3. My students in Wentzville, Mo and I would love to participate as well, Jennifer;). Love the paring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne!

      Great! Let's talk off line and set up something.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete