"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, November 1, 2013

We're getting ready for a visit from Anne Ursu!

Anne Ursu is visiting our school later this month!  She'll be meeting with our 4th and 5th graders. We cannot wait!
I have been pulling together resources for the students to explore so they will know a bit about Anne before she arrives. The Real Boy is Anne Ursu's latest book.  I am so eager for the students to read this book and hear Anne Ursu talk about this book.  Want to know how much I loved this book?  Here's my review.

We've been reading and reading about her other books as well.




This week, I read the first few pages from Breadcrumbs and then showed the students how to find resources on TeachingBooks.net. I explained that we were going to listen to an interview from NPR.  

On the reading:
The students were engrossed and would have sat with me all day, had we the time.  We had much to talk about after only four pages.  Words like mundane, sully and pristine demonstrated how beautiful and rich is the language in this book and all of Anne Ursu's books.

On the NPR interview:
Remember, it is the day after Halloween and two days after the Red Sox won the World Series, but my students were listening intently for seven minutes while Anne Ursu talked about the book. Listen to the interview yourself.  What a great way to practice a 21st Century skill and meet CCSS.  These students were taking in information from a variety of sources in a variety of formats.  Cool beans.



No comments:

Post a Comment