"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, December 7, 2012

"My Students, My Students, My Many Groovy Students!"


My kindergarten students and I have been reading the Pete the Cat books and having a lot of fun...oh, wait...I mean having a lot of learning experiences.  Actually, we are having a lot of fun learning experiences.  

Today we played the Pete the Cat concentration-style game called Do My Shoes Match?

Check out our morning of playing games and taking pictures. Caution: cute factor is very high - student photographers in residence. 

Observing the students walk around taking pictures was a great experience. I quickly gabbed my cell phone and snapped a couple of pictures myself. Here's what I am thinking, "Why not have the students help capture the learning that is happening in the library?"  
 
You can project the book with your document camera and then play this MP3 of the book.  My library was a cacophony of voices when we read and listened to Pete the Cat and His White Shoes.  Afterwards, we went around the group and each student shared what item he or she might have stepped into  to make his or her shoes the color they were.  Their imaginations were intact.  I heard ideas such as: melted chocolate, caramel, cement, blackberries, rainbow sprinkles, vanilla ice cream.  (The students had first participated in a turn and talk to get their creative juices flowing.)


We also read and listened to Pete the Cat and his Four Groovy Buttons. Math has taken on a whole new tune in my library!  Students are doing math about the books in their hands and friends on the rug.   

I love when a book (or series in this case) lends itself to a rollicking good time learning -- make that rocking good time learning."My students, my students, my many groovy students!"

No comments:

Post a Comment