"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Slice of Life: On the urge to leave them laughing


I am Slicing a day late, but not a dollar short. Yesterday was one of those full days that did allow for the mental space for writing. Luckily today affords me this pleasure!

As each academic year approaches it's end and I say goodbye to the students for the summer, I feel this pull to make the last lesson memorable in some way, usually leaning toward humor. This phrase from my childhood filters through from the recesses of thought: "Leave 'em laughing."  (I think it is from a Laurel and hardy skit.) Even more persistent is this idea from Singing in the Rain: 
I find myself crooning this song in an Ethel Merman-esque voice, well crooning and Ethel Merman-esque voice might not go hand-in-hand, but you get the idea: I am being tugged in this mental direction. 


Why do I feel this need for the last library class to be memorably funny?

I hope this last library experience of the school year gives each student a safe emotional place to start the next year. I want them to remember the joy of a shared reading experience. I want them to remember that books hold treasures waiting to be discovered. I want them to begin their summer reading journeys with this in mind. I want them to come back next year eager to see where our adventures bring us.  Who knows, maybe I'll croon the song above with my own lyrics....

"There's no reading like summer reading, 
like no reading I know, 
everything about it is appealing, 
it's something only stories will allow,
nowhere you could get that happy feeling
when you are stealing away to read."

No comments:

Post a Comment