"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, February 18, 2013

On the Road to.... perfection...or actually Mr. Mineo's

Yesterday was the first real day of vacation. The winds were staying steady at about 25-30 mph making the windchill hover below zero.  A fire in the fireplace, an alpaca blanket, a cup of tea, and a good book seemed the perfect way to pass the afternoon. It turns out it wasn't quite perfect, not yet. 

My 20-year-old-daughter, home from college for the weekend, joined me on the couch. I offered to read the book aloud to her, which she happily accepted.  Another cup of tea was made, another blanket procured, another log added to the fire. Now this was perfection. It was one of those experiences where you want to be in it and observing it and remembering it at the same time. 
On the Road to Mr. Mineo's by Barbara O'Connor is a book that sneaks its way into your heart.  My daughter and I found ourselves stopping each other to talk about the book -- the quirky characters, the great chapter titles and endings, the way Sherman, the one-legged pigeon was touching so many people's lives. We loved this book. With such beautiful, spare writing, Barbara O'Connor, has crafted a story that is both heart-warming and suspenseful. I cannot wait to get back to school and start handing this book to both students and teachers.  I think it would make a wonderful read aloud in a classroom.  This is a book meant to be shared.

On March 6th I am celebrating World Read Aloud Day.  I am celebrating in honor of this experience and all the shared reading experiences I have had with my family and my students.  Join me on March 6th.  Read it Forward. Find a book you love and share it with someone.  Let's help make reading a reality for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment