"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, May 19, 2011

If April showers bring May flowers, what do May showers bring?

I have decided that I am going to ignore this very soggy spring and pretend it is sunny and warm.  Sunny, warm weather makes me think of summer and summer makes me think of running through a sprinkler....so....in keeping with the wet weather.....a celebration of water!

Nikki Grimes book of poetry A Pocketful of Poems (with incredible mixed-media collage by Javaka Steptoe) has some of my favorite spring and summer celebration poetry. Nikki Grimes combines a free verse poem with an Haiku on the same subject.  Given all this rain, I would like to put a more positive spin on water, here's my favorite:

HOT
HOT is a thirsty word that
wakes me from a deep sleep.
I leave my dreams and stumble to the kitchen.
I place the word in the sink, then
turn the cold water on full blast.

Hot days send me to
the water fountain where my
face goes for a swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment