"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, June 5, 2014

These Candlewick Press books will never be on the shelves

...because they will always be in students' hands.

As with any Candlewick Press catalogue, there are many books in the latest offerings that I know my students will love and that will never actually sit on a shelf in the library because they will always be checked out.  What also makes these books great, is that I can see connections to our Lucy Calkins units and the ELA curriculum. These are the books I am especially looking forward to:
Shh! We Have a Plan


I was brought up on a healthy does of Tomi Ungerer. This book reminds me of all that I loved about those books. Humor abounds in both text and art. I cannot wait to read this aloud with students.

Sam and Dave Dig a Hole


 Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen team up again and readers will be glad that they have. Klassen is a master of looks and he proves himself brilliant once again. Klassen's (deadpan) illustrations bring the reader in on the real story: it's all about the journey and not what you find when you get there.

I'm My Own Dog

I love a book that gives the reader a different perspective and manages to do it with humor and charm. This is endearing. 

Have Your Seen My Dragon?


I have a soft spot for books that capture and celebrate the mind of a child, hearing Steve Light talk about his experiences visiting the city with his father and how those experiences lead to this book made me love it even more. There is so much to explore here, it is a book readers will return to again and again.

Druthers
Matt Phelan gives us a father/daughter duo that readers will cheer for. This playful and caring father celebrates his daughter's imagination, and no passive princess is she - be prepared for adventure! If you had your druthers, what would you be?


Leroy Ninker Saddles Up



Mercy Watson's world expands and readers can grow with her. I am hoping Kate DiCamillo can take a break from her National Ambassador duties to write a few more of these...we're going to need more! 

The Princess in Black

Shannon Hale and Dean Hale create a princess who vexes monsters? This one is going to be great.

The Brilliant World of Tom Gates

I don't usually think gender, but there are some 5th grade boys who will love this book! 

Quest



The Journey continues, need I say more?

Miss Emily
A novel in verse that captures Emily Dickinson's playful nature and connection to children. I will not soon forget the night the circus visited town.

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash

A beautifully-illustrated biography that celebrates Johnny Cash's music.

Tap Tap Boom Boom
The sights and sounds of a summer storm in the city, with fun words to roll around on one's tongue and  many things to notice.

Cast Away on the Letter A

Visually intricate Toon book.

Theseus and the Minotaur

We need more mythology books and this one comes with trading-card-style stats!

~~~~~~~~~~
Visiting the Candlewick offices 
is a treat for the eyes as well!








I'm sure there will be more scenes like this for Candlewick.

2 comments:

  1. I want to visit Candlewick! Looks so fun. Also then I could steal all these books. Or sit on the floor and read them, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that we could leave with all of these great books. Just nice to have seen them and read them!

      Delete