"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

It's a ninja invasion inspired by The Three Ninja Pigs

My first graders and I read The Three Ninja Pigs, written by Corey Rosen Schwartz and illustrated by Dan Santat, as a culminating book in an exploration of fairy tales and fractured fairy tales (and those in between).  This was the perfect book on which to end both the unit and our library classes (for the year). The students loved the book. The book is just plain fun to read, and the students showed their appreciation for the puns by making "ba-dum-tsh" drum sounds at the appropriate moments.  I am always impressed at how sharp their visual literacy skills are and how quickly they pick up on small details in the illustrations. They laughed, they cheered, they wanted more. I had no more ninja books to read (alas Ninja Red Riding Hood is not yet available), so I sent them off to create their own ninja characters. I encouraged them to think of a character from another fairy tale or book and turn that person into a ninja.

I found a ninja Ivy from Ivy and Bean:

I found a ninja Creepy Carrot from Creepy Carrots:

I found a ninja crayon from The Day the Crayons Quit:

I found the beginnings of a ninja Piggie from Elephant and Piggie:

I found a ninja Bot from Bot + Bot:

And I found plenty of just-your-average-everyday ninjas:




Thank you for inspiring my students, Corey and Dan! Ki-ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment