"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, December 12, 2011

Learning through Skype

I am loving expanding the walls of my classroom.  With tools like Flip cameras and applications like VoiceThread, my students are connecting and communicating with students outside of their daily life.  Recently, my first grade students learned about TumbleBooks from a class of third graders in another library in my district.  The other library teacher and I Skyped with three different classes.  It was an exciting day.  I think the greatest measure of success was having my students ask me, the next time they came to the library, "Are we going to learn about something new on Skype again?"  "We will!"  I told them.  They don't know it yet, but the next time, they will get to be the teachers and they'll be helping someone else learn something new!


Here's some footage of the Skyping experience.







1 comment:

  1. Great use of tools such as Skype; often portrayed as simply for fun and instant communication, to truly connect classrooms. Your last post about "inclusive schools" could truly be connected to an "inclusive district," where via Skype, students would have access to the same learning and lessons as other schools. Inspiring Work!

    ReplyDelete